Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Why I'm Changing My Soap Making Process

Orange Vanilla Baby Wash & Shampoo
Now that 2012 is here, I've got some big changes up my sleeve. I told you about my plans to move into a new shop. It's not time for that yet, but I'll definitely keep you updated on it.

My first big change is that I'm altering the way that I make my soap.

I don't know if you know anything about soap-making or not, but making liquid soap is very different from making bar soap. I personally love both, but when it comes to baby soap & shampoo, liquid wins out every time for me.

The way I make my soap now is to take my soap & infuse the herbs into it. The problem with this is that it sometimes causes the soap to separate a bit, especially with the orange & lemon herbs. It must be the vitamin c in it. That's all I can figure because the other soaps don't really do it.

It's not really a big deal because you can just shake it & it all mixes back up, but I'm not really happy with the way it looks. Looks = sales, especially for my wholesale customers who are putting my products in their shops. It has to set on a shelf & it's not being shaken so when people look at it they're seeing the separation. Now most people probably don't think a thing about it, but others may.

So, I'm changing the way I make it by doing the herbal infusing during the actual soap-making instead of saving it for later. So it will be one of the first steps instead of one of the later steps in the process.

I've not tried it yet, but very soon. I'm hoping it turns out well! I'll definitely post new pics to my Facebook wall. If you're not following me there yet, you definitely should! There's a lot of conversation that goes on there!

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I used to make soap at my full time job, and I loved it! I sometimes think about getting back to that, and do it at home, but it's been a while I wouldn't know where to start! Besides, I'd have to incorporate into my knitting... I've seen soaps covered in wool and supposedly that makes a nice loofah.. Anywhoo, good luck! I'm sure you'll figure it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you saying that before! We'll have to collaborate at some point. I'd love to get into making bars of soap & I could use some knitted soap bags to offer in my shop at some point!

    ReplyDelete