Saturday, December 18, 2010

New Item for the New Year?

     So I've been trying to come up with some good ideas on new items to add to my shop for 2011. One idea I came up with was cake balls. They're also known as cake pops and cake truffles. I love cake decorating, and this is just another type of it. You can really do so much! I thought it may be a good idea to offer them for baby showers, birthdays, and holidays. Anyway, I thought I'd post a picture of some I made for my churches Christmas Party so everyone could see. Let me know what you think, and if you think I should add them to my shop!


  1. Well, I just found out that I'm not really supposed to sell food. Not just online, but I guess anywhere unless I have a permit to do so. And that means money and inspections. I'm not so sure it's worth it!

  2. If you didn't sell them, but gave a couple away with a gift, do you still need permits and a licensed kitchen?

  3. Hey Mindy! I'm not EXACTLY sure what the law is when it comes to food. I read a bit about it, and what I found out was that a lot of Farmer's Markets weren't allowed to let people sell canned or baked goods without food permits anymore. So maybe it's just when you go through a business like a farmer's market or Etsy {selling as a business would} that you have to have licenses. My guess is that if you sell on a small out of your home...then it's up to individual discretion about buying from you.

    I also decorate cakes here and there out of my home, but it's not really an official business so I don't have a license. I would be interested to know the actual laws on the subject though!